Thursday, January 22, 2009

My garden is calling

Wow, it was another one of those terrific sunny days in winter. The temperature didn't quite make it to 70 as predicted but close enough. Once I finally got through with all the "must do" activities of the day, I wandering outside. I took a leisurely walk around the house thinking about how the yard would come alive in the next few months. Wondering what surprises were waiting just under the surface. Trying not to take notice of the evidence of the septic tank that was not as far under the surface as it should be. Thinking about what we might do in the coming years to put our own special mark on this place. Then it was time to get my hands dirty.

As I grabbed a couple of my hand tools from the shed. That's right we have a garden shed! Actually there is still an on going discussion about whether it is the garden shed or the tool shed. It is also sometimes referred to as the man cave, but most often the "Red House". Honestly it is shaping up to be a very nice tool shed and Kevin is happy for me to keep a few of my special tools out there, so I am just having a good time giving him a hard time about his man cave. Besides I had best not cause too much trouble, since I have designs on converting the backside/lean-to into a chick house :)

But as I was saying, as I grabbed a couple of tools from the shed, my eyes fell on the W-M bag full of bulbs that I had "found" this summer. You know how us gardeners are. We (the family) were out in the country looking at a house that I really liked when I noticed an area that had obviously once been landscaped. I also happen to notice that there were bulbs just right on the surface of the ground, really, just right there. So of course I had to pick up a few. Noone was living there, nor had they for awhile. Anyway, now my hands are dirty and I have a lovely old barrel full of surprises. I'll keep you posted as the Spring progresses.


Since little boys are drawn to dirt as much as gardeners, I soon had a little helper. Stephen and I began clearing grass and weeds from around a trellis. The previous owners had built an arbor by the driveway and though the arbor didn't work for me where it was, I couldn't just throw it away. So my dear husband moved it to the backyard and we are going to plant peas around it, hopefully next week!

And all this fun after doing school with everyone and then homemade pizza followed by a Veggie Tale, it just doesn't get any better than this.
I have a daughter needing help with a speech, so must close for now.
Can anyone tell me why some leaves just won't give it up? I mean what is he trying to prove? Its almost February!

No comments: