Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Parting the Waters

Today I am adding a new dimension to my blogging experience. When I was first invited to participate in Jeanne’s blog tour for her book Parting the Waters, I was really excited to be able to help in anyway. But now that the week is here, I am feeling very unworthy.

I was tempted to introduce this book as being about your average family that overcomes adversity, but the Damoffs are not your average family. Jeanne and George are those rare people that live out their faith with intensity and passion. When Jacob nearly drowned and all their hopes and dreams for their firstborn were totally rewritten, many couples would (and have) thrown in the towel and turned their backs on God and His unique plan for their lives. But Jeanne and George and Grace and Luke clung to God.

This story is true. It is both painful and beautiful. Jeanne does not candy coat the range of emotions they experienced. She does not deny that there were desperate and dark days, but always there is that turning back to the lover of her soul. Always there is that trust in His sovereignty.

The first time I read this book in manuscript form, my own family was going through a desperate trial. The circumstances were totally different and yet the spiritual truths remained the same. I found strength and encouragement, helpful insights, and courage to meet a new day when there didn’t seem to be much hope. Just recently I read the official, beautifully published book. Its power was undiminished. And as whenever I have opportunity to be around Jacob, I thought, something beautiful is happening.

This book is the story of a real family. It is the story of how God redeems brokenness. Our suffering is never for naught. Parting the Waters is a must read. But go ahead and pick up at least two copies because you will want to share its message of hope with someone you know who is hurting. I’ve already given my copy away.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1579219500
http://jeannedamoff.com

1 comment:

Jeanne Damoff said...

Thank you, sweet Megan.

Love,
Jeanne