Thursday, January 24, 2008

Two Weeks Ago

Yes, it has already been two weeks since we made our brave trek to Arkansas with the 25' RV in tow. Thankfully there were no adventures on the way up. Though I have to admit getting out of the Burger King parking lot proved more challenging then I had calculated, but once the lady realized that I was not in fact trying to cut in line, but only trying to get out of there and if she cared one little bit for the integrity of her shiny car she would be better served to back up rather than trying to nose forward to keep HER place in line. What was she thinking? What if I had wanted to cut in line? She sure wasn't going to stop me. Really I was being nice.

So we arrive and I hop out of the van to find out just where I am suppose to park this thing. Uuuuhhhh, ok guys, it looks like we have a tire that is losing air fast. and Murphy's Law begins to play a significant roll in our lives. I knew there would not be electricity when we arrived, but I was suppose to meet the water people, who I had just gotten off the phone with. So during the time that it takes me to limp around the block with a 25' RV they come and take the lock off the meter and leave. Thirty minutes later I call to find out where they are, its 5 minutes till their closing time and none of the spikets in the area are working. As I am hearing the news that they were just there and didn't see anyone and I would just have to turn the water on myself it all becomes clear, one of my dear children trips over a piece of PVC sending one end of it flying. The end that I had previously thought was somehow attached to the main water supply. That's why those guys left so quick. So, yeah, I called Kevin, told him we had all made it safely and that we were going to be staying with him at the hotel and eating Pizza one more time.

So the next morning, first stop - hardware store. Now you ladies I know will appreciate my situation. The truth is true hardware stores, where all the contractors shop, it really forbidden territory to women. But I am trying my best to be discrete, but who am I kidding? I just pulled into the parking lot in a huge, 12 passenger van (sans the RV), covered with red mud and sporting not only a TEXAS license plate but 4, count them, 4 school aged kids on a Thursday morning. I did resist the temptation to tell them to hide under the seats. While I was wandering around trying to find all the necessary items to operate on our water situation, the kids were making friends with all the local contractors coming in and out of the store.

Anyway this has gone on way too long. To wrap it up quickly, by Friday night we had fixed the water situation, locked ourselves out of the RV, pulled down the neighbor's satellite cable, changed the tire, re parked the RV, spent another night in the hotel, and found a delightful electrician (at the hardware store, of course). When Kevin came "home" that evening, we were getting ready to grill chicken and all was right in the world. Aaaahhhh.

No comments: